Our Classic tours take you on riding paths that have been used by Icelandic people for centuries. On these tours we ride with a herd of loose horses, so it is important that you feel safe to control your horse and keep your balance also in faster gaits. You get to try many different horses (We change horses usually twice a day). Group size ranges from 10 to 18 riders according to the different tours. We usually calculate to bring 2-3 horses for every rider.
Reasonable physical conditions are needed on all tours, especially on our longer highland tours where daily rides can be up to 7-8 hours. The minimum ability required is that you master the basic aids and are able to control the horse at all paces and in the open country. Children from 10 years are welcome on our Classic tours, but need to be fit and proficient riders as well.
All of these tours differ in other details, so let´s see which one is the perfect tour for you!
Southern Highland Adventure and Forces of Nature are perfect for you, if you...
- Want to discover the remote wilderness of Iceland´s highlands
- Are fit enough to also walk with your horse if mountains are too steep to ride
- Are not afraid of heights (we ride up and down mountains and alongside gorges)
- Don´t mind being close to other people (we are staying in mountain cabins with simple bunk bed/sleeping bag accommodation, sometimes without a shower or electricity)
- Like to travel in smaller groups (12-14 people max.)
- If 6 riding days are not enough, you should opt for the Forces of Nature (8 riding days)
Kjölur is perfect for you, if you...
- Like long riding days
- Want to cross the island (South to North or North to South) on horseback
- Don´t mind being close to other people (we are staying in mountain cabins with simple bunk bed/sleeping bag accommodation)
Snæfellsnes is perfect for you, if you...
- Love the combination of riding in mountains, lava fields and on the beach
- Like a comfortable farm accommodation in 2-4 bed rooms with made-up beds, warm showers and a hot pot